May 28, 2011

A Book You Can't Put Down

What do you do if you belong to a book club and you don't like the books that are picked? It's the standing joke in my book club that I'm usually the guilty party who hasn't finished the selection. I try, I really do. I start them all and I'll give them at least 50 pages, sometimes a little more, but I can't bring myself to finish a book I don't like.
Then why go, you ask. Because I really like the ladies (why don't men join book clubs?), and besides we always have wine and a wonderful dessert (maybe the men don't know that) so that's a win-win for me. And every once in a while I'll really love the book and what a treat that is!
Don't you love finding a book so engaging you don't want it to end? It doesn't happen all that often but when it does it's a joy. Actually it's kind of a double-edged sword, isn't it? You don't want it to end but you can't put it down.
Some of my favorite recent books are The Help by Kathryn Stockett (this was one of the few book club selections I loved). So exquisitely written with real characters you can empathize with. Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen is another that was so engaging.
And of course my all-time favorite: To Kill a Mockingbird, which I've read at least half a dozen times. And if you haven't read that, why not? DO IT NOW!
I recently finished Plainsong by Kent Haruf. It was a book club selection and surprise - I loved it!
It took me a bit to get into it. It's not that I disliked it, I just thought it was slow in the beginning and the story didn't seem to be going anywhere. But then it hit its stride, and I couldn't wait to get back to it. Now I'm reading the sequel, Eventide, and it's just as good. Very sad, tho.
Have you read anything lately that you didn't want to end?
Share it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sam,

Yes, I was in a book club once that turned into wine and snacks and talking about books we'd like to read. We picked a classic once in a while which was fun. Yes, I think men don't know we always have food and that's why they don't join.

I just read Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. While, I was satistified when it ended, I devoured it and couldn't put it down.

Alicia