November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day 2008

Whether or not you support the war (I don't), today's Veteran's Day, a day to say thanks to the men and women who risk their lives for our country. On this day I'm particularly thinking about my beloved father who served in the Army, my Uncle Ben, who was lost in action for a while, but who ultimately returned home safely, and my Bill who served in the Marine Corps and went to Viet Nam. I can't imagine doing anything like that. But I'm grateful for the people who do.

Here's my Bill and Ron Kovach wearing Ron's Marine Corps clothes, which (amazingly) he still has and even more amazingly they were able to button.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i forgot about the photo op with the uniforms samantha! when you mention the uniforms fitting, the usmc was very fussy about our clothes fitting. during boot camp i had to have my summer and winter suits tailored four (4!) times as i gained 50 pounds during boot camp.

when i was discharged i had lost 20 of those boot camp pounds and that's what i am wearing. yes, the sport coat does fit but there is a bit of a stretch in the core ( no not corp ) area.

seeing billy, circa - 64/65 does bring back memories!

thanks for the post!

hoorah!