November 4, 2008

Election Day

I don't often write this kind of thing in my journals, usually it's much more personal, but this is what I wrote in my journal on July 28, 2004:
"Barack Obama was the keynote speaker at the Democratic National Convention last night and his speech was electrifying. He has amazing presence. He's a man who can rally the troops, who can bring all the factions together, who has a traditional view of America and who wants to preserve the values this country was founded on. I think he will be the first black President of the United States in 8-12 years."

In a few short hours I hope to say, "Ok, so I was off by four years."

I have felt so emotional on this Election Day and not sure why. Perhaps because it gives me hope that this man could be our president, not because he's black or white, but because of his intelligence, his grace, his judgment, his wisdom, his ability to build consensus and confidence...AND he happens to be a black man. It gives me hope because of what that says about our society today and, even though it's taken too long, I am struck by how far we've come in my lifetime.
And I've felt emotional about our democratic process today and what a miracle it is that we, as individuals, go to the polls to cast our vote from our hearts and souls, and that we are free to do this. Whatever one's opinion, whoever we choose to support, I think we should all feel honored to be part of this process.

No comments: