October 6, 2011

What's Your Legacy?

Steve Jobs is one of the geniuses of the world, alongside Einstein, DaVinci and Isaac Newton, to name a few. Jobs changed the world; not just people around him but the ENTIRE world; the way we think, the way we live, the way we work and play, the way we communicate, the way we listen to music, the way we read...and the list goes on. How many people can say that? It's an awesome legacy.
Do you ever think about your legacy, what you'll leave behind? I think about it a lot, probably because I don't have children. I think about all the things I've collected over the years; the thousands of photos, the family antiques, tapes of my father's voice, videos of family events, journals I've kept for most of my life...and it's sad to know that when I die no one will want those things or care about them.
If you have children, you're lucky (on so many levels). They still might not want your things, but you have a built-in legacy. Right? So what's mine?
That's part of why I write - my words are what will survive me. With the publication of my book in the spring (yay!) - and hopefully many more - I'll leave a piece of me behind, something that people for generations to come will be able to pick up in a library or bookstore and in some way know me. It's my hope that something I've written will resonate, that my readers will be moved or touched in some way, that my words will have made a difference.
What more could you wish for?

No comments: