February 8, 2011

What the Heck Do You Do With Marjoram?

The other day I came home from the grocery store and pulled out the package of thyme I bought, all ready to put it in the corn chowder I was making and lo and behold, it wasn't thyme at all, it was marjoram. How the heck did that happen? And what the heck do you do with marjoram?
Crap!
I spend a fortune on those little politically-incorrect plastic containers of fresh herbs and then I use about one 86th of whatever it is and the rest turns into slimy seaweed in my fridge. It's very annoying.
Anyway, marjoram is very fragrant, I can tell you that (read: it stinks). I tasted a bit of it raw and it has a very medicinal taste (read: ick). But I hate waste. So I spent some time online (isn't the Internet just such a miracle - years ago I'd have had to look it up in an encyclopedia and then I still wouldn't have known what to do with it) and I picked out two recipes that call for marjoram. I'm making one tonight and I'll make one tomorrow. And that'll use about one 86th of what's in the little politically-incorrect plastic container that'll end up in a landfill somewhere and then in a few days I'll throw out the slimy shit that the unused marjoram has become.

No comments: