My neighbor across the hall, Evelyn Finn, and I have a little goodie swap-thing going. When I bake I leave a little bag of my goodies on her door and she does the same. Nice to have neighbors like that, isn't it?
The other day she left me these Chocolate-Cherry Cookies which are outrageously delicious. It turns out they only have 3 grams of fat each but believe me, they don't taste low-fat - they are decadent!
Click here for the recipe:
1½ cups flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup butter
1 cup sugar
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
1½ tsp vanilla
48 undrained maraschino cherries (about one 10-oz. jar
1 6-oz. pkg semisweet chocolate pieces
½ cup sweetened condensed milk
1. In a medium bowl combine flour and cocoa powder. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl beat butter with elec. Mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, salt, baking powder and soda. Beat until well mixed. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Gradually beat in dry mixture.
3. Shape dough into 1” balls; place on ungreased cookie sheets. Press down center of each ball with thumb.
4. Drain cherries reserving juice. Place one cherry in center of each cookie.
5. For frosting, in a small saucepan combine chocolate pieces and sweetened condensed milk. Heat and stir over medium heat until chocolate is melted. Stir in 4 tsp. of cherry juice.
6. Spoon about 1 tsp. frosting over each cherry, spreading to cover cherry. (If necessary, frosting may be thinned with additional cherry juice.
7. Bake in a 350 degree oven 10-12 minutes or until edges are firm. Transfer to wire racks and let cool.
Makes 48 cookies.
Nutrition info per cookie: 82 calories, 3 g. total fat (1 g. saturated fat)