October 15, 2009

"It's like déjà vu, all over again." Yogi Berra

This is one of Yogi Berra's most famous quotes. Wikipedia says, "Berra, who quit school in the eighth grade, has a tendency toward malapropism and fracturing the English language in highly provocative, interesting ways. Simultaneously denying and confirming his reputation, Berra once stated, "I really didn't say everything I said."
I love that!
So "déjà vu all over again" is very funny and endearing. At least when he said it. But it seems that people today think that's the correct usage. You hear news anchors, reporters, business people, radio personalities using it that way. Do you think they don't know it's redundant?
Recently I was watching Entertainment Tonight (real intellectual stimulation) and there was an interview with John Gosselin (if you don't know who he is don't feel like you're missing something). He said, "If I love someone and that love isn't reciprocated back to me..." Made me crazy.
Does it bother you?

No comments: