June 29, 2013

Movie Review: The Bling Ring ***

I love Sophia Coppola's movies - Lost in Translation is one of my all-time favorites. But The Bling Ring doesn't have the subtlety of that film and it doesn't have the same investment in the main characters. 
The Bling Ring is interesting - it's based on a true story - and it's about a bunch of kids who break into the homes of celebrities and steal clothes and jewelry and whatever else strikes their fancy, almost including Paris Hilton's dog - to the tune of nearly $3 million.
We end up with scene after scene of the break-ins, and at first I watched with fascination and tension, conflicted as to whether I wanted them to get away or get caught, but after a while it was ho hum. I wanted more. There's little character development, minor relationship development, and the motivation behind the break-ins is hardly explored at all. 
I had high hopes but The Bling Ring left me flat. 


No comments: