March 26, 2015

Movie Review: Cinderella ****

Cinderella is the fairy tale I grew up with - the Disney, animated Cinderella. I loved it; loved her, loved her dress, loved Prince Charming, and loved that he searched the kingdom far and wide looking his true love, against all odds. And then he found her and they lived happily ever after and I loved that, too.
I grew up thinking that was how life would go for me.
Hah!
None of that happened.
Well, that's not quite true - I did marry Prince Charming. On three separate occasions. Divorced them all.
I still love the fantasy, and this modern, live-action film of Cinderella is beautiful and engaging and creative.
Cate Blanchett is fabulous as the evil stepmother and Lily James is lovely as our heroine. And then there's that handsome prince.
The story, of course, is sweet, and you can just sit back and enjoy; live the fantasy for a couple of hours.
And then, back to reality. Which bears no resemblance.

No comments: