March 7, 2010

My Picks for Oscar Night

I love the Academy Awards. Over the years I've watched them at parties or at other peoples' houses with one or two friends, but my favorite way to watch them is at home, by myself. That way there are no distractions and I won't miss any of the gowns or the speeches and I can get on the computer if I get bored.
Here are my picks for the major awards but you should know I've missed one or two of the films (I hate when that happens) and a couple of the performances. So here are my picks with some limitations:
Best Actor:
George Clooney because he's a subtle actor whose face (besides being gorgeous) shows the character's emotion more than his words, and because he's a really fine actor. He probably won't win but I'm rooting for him. (The only performance I didn't see in this category was Jeremy Renner's.)
Best Actress:
I don't feel really stronly about this category. I didn't see The Last Station so I can't speak about Helen Mirren's performance but there's not a standout among the other nominees in my opinion. So I'm going to pick Sandra Bullock because she was good in the role and it's a different role for her. Not high praise, I know.
Best Supporting Actress:
Even tho I didn't see Nine I'm picking Penelope Cruz because she's one of the best actors of our day. Mo'Nique is the favorite, I know, and I liked her performance but didn't love it.
Best Supporting Actor:
Christoph Waltz. Fabulous performance, and actually the only other performance I saw in the category was Matt Damon who was good but not Academy Award-good.
Best Picture:
Inglourious Basterds because I thought it was a perfect film and Quentin Tarantino for Best Director for the same reason. I think he's a genius (crazy, but a genius).

No comments: