December 23, 2013

Movie Review: Saving Mr. Banks ***1/2

Saving Mr. Banks is a sweet story about an irascible woman and the man (Walt Disney) who tenaciously cracks the code of her impossibility. The film is inspired by the true story of P.L. Travers who wrote Mary Poppins, and who was loathe to sell the movie rights to Disney until her financial situation forced her to.
The film paints Walt Disney as something of a sweet dufus. Tom Hanks is good in the role but it's not much of a part, in my opinion. Emma Thompson is wonderful as the author but I wish it had been written with a lighter hand. Paul Giamatti has an odd role as the limo driver who turns out to be the only American the author can stomach, and who penetrates the armor she protects herself with.
It's an engaging story and I was certainly entertained for two hours but I would have liked it better if it had more substance and less fancy.
Lots of 'buts' here. Three and a half stars for Saving Mr. Banks.

1 comment:

For Alaska fishing lodge info… said...

What a wonderful review for a truly wonderful movie! Thank you for writing it. I agree with everything you wrote. I want to let everyone know that the movie is for adults and not really for children. I was blown away by the film and will never look at Mary Poppins or Disney the same way again. Great job!