February 24, 2013

A Must-Make Recipe

Chicken and dumplings - what makes you feel better than that?
You have to make this - you just throw everything in your slow-cooker, leave for the day and come back to a house that smells like Grandma's. It's easy and delicious and heart-warming.
That's it at left left before I put the dumpling dough on top and finished cooking it, and then, in my impatience to chow down on this comfort food (my favorite food group), I totally forgot to take a picture of the finished dish. Just dug right in. And I have one word: yum.


Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings

  • 3 pounds skinless chicken thighs (I use bone-in for more flavor)
  • 1 yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
  • 2 carrots
  • 3 stalks celery
  • Frozen peas
Combine in a saucepan:
  • 4 T butter
  • 6 T flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp poultry seasoning 
Put the vegetables into the bottom of the crockpot and chicken on top. Add the milk/flour mixture.

Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4-5. An hour before serving, remove chicken and let cool, then pull from bone and shred. 

Drop in dumpling dough. (You could use refrigerated biscuits at this point if you want to make it even easier but I made my own because I had pancake mix that I never use.

Cover and cook on high for another hour. The dumplings are done when you can insert a knife and it comes out clean. They will be spongy and will brown a bit on the sides and top.

Dumplings:
  • 2 1/2 cups buttermilk pancake mix
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1 egg
In medium bowl, stir together pancake mix and remaining ingredients until dough forms.
Drop dough by rounded spoonfuls onto simmering stew.
(I added salt, herbes de Provence and a touch of cayenne to the dumpling dough.)

No comments: