February 1, 2012

Israel - Day Two


Have you noticed that I love doors?
Neighborhood of Tel Aviv
Breakfast was bright and early on Saturday, which was fine since I woke at 2, 5 and 6:30am. Afterwards we gathered for a briefing from Arie (left, with his arm in the air), which turned out to be a history lesson about what we were going to see, and lasted longer than my attention span - no surprise there, since I'm not a history person - all those facts and dates and locations...zzzzzzzzzz. Don't tell me, SHOW me. And finally we set off on a walking tour of the Neve Tzedek neighborhood of Tel Aviv. Beautiful buildings, narrow streets with low, attached housing and then streets of newer Art Deco buildings. Then a ride along the beach and through the city and then I got off the van on the beach for free time and watched a couple hundred people dancing on a lovely Saturday afternoon. I was mesmerized. They were mostly older people (my age) and they were incredibly beautiful. I talked to one of the dancers who told me they took lessons and then came out on Saturday to show off. I so wanted to be one of them.
Later our group met for a tour of Old Jaffa and dinner which, for the life of me, I don't remember. But I'm sure it was delicious.
After dinner, I set off with my new BFF, Tony, and his partner Nel, and we wandered the city at night taking beautiful pictures and having a wonderful time. Tony and I connected immediately and the three of us spent the rest of the trip together. They made this experience so much fun. Really. It's always about people, isn't it? It would have been a great trip if Tony and Nel hadn't been there but it was a spectacular trip because they were.
Tel Aviv Beach
Dancing on the beach

People With Wings
Tony (left) and Nel

No comments: