May 16, 2011

Movie Review: The Beaver

When I saw the trailer for The Beaver I thought I would never go see the movie. Number one, it has Mel Gibson in it and number two, a beaver puppet? Really???
But the movie, and Gibson, have gotten good reviews, and some friends wanted to see it so I went.
I should have paid more attention to my instinct.
If you think the concept of someone talking to a puppet that's ON HIS OWN HAND looks pretty stupid, IT IS.
Seems like it might be a comedy from the trailer but it's actually very dark, a story about mental illness. I recently saw Next to Normal, a Broadway show that played here in Chicago for two weeks. It's also about mental illness, but so beautifully written with well-drawn characters you can relate to. It's a tough story but told with heart (read my review here). That's what The Beaver is missing: that heart, poignancy, characters you believe in.
Mel Gibson was fine but no more than that. Jodi Foster was also fine - I just didn't buy her character. Anton Yelchin, who plays the older, head-banging (literally head-banging) son was excellent.
All in all I hate that I paid good money to see Mel Gibson.
2 stars out of 5 for The Beaver.

No comments: