December 28, 2010

Movie Review: Somewhere

This movie would more accurately be titled Soooooomewheeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrre because that's the length of most of the scenes. That's not to say I didn't like it because I did. And the more I think about it the more I like it. It's that kind of film. But be aware that it's not action-packed, it just moves along at its own pace (slooooow) giving us a glimpse into the life of an alienated actor and the daughter he occasionally spends time with. Steven Dorff is perfect as Johnny Marco, the actor, and Elle Fanning is unselfconsciously wonderful as his daughter.
Lost in Translation, Sophia Coppola's first film, is one of my favorites. After I saw it I wanted everyone to see it, so went again with some friends. It was shocking to me when my friend Lauren described it as "like watching paint dry." To me it was perfect. I could say unequivocally that Lauren should not see Somewhere. It may be too slow for some but it's Sophia Coppola and you have to spend time with her characters. Sometimes you almost feel like a peeping Tom. But it's worth it.
My favorite scene: the pole-dancing twins who bring their portable poles to Johnny's hotel room and do their dance with plastic smiles and zero passion. Very funny. The funniest part, tho, is when he falls asleep before they're finished. There's another falling-asleep scene but I won't spoil that one.
4-1/2 out of 5 stars for Somewhere.

No comments: