September 12, 2010

The Dukes of September

Okay, I don't know where they came up with the goofy name but we saw them last night at the Chicago Theatre - Michael McDonald, Donald Fagen and Boz Skaggs - and I don't use this word as lightly as most people these days, but they were awesome.
Michael McDonald's voice is as good as ever and when the three came out on stage he got the biggest applause but when Boz Skaggs sang Lowdown the audience went crazy.
Donald Fagen's hands on the keyboard were amazing to watch, and how can you not love it when he sang Aja? He sounds great altho his voice hasn't held up as well as the other two. But hell, who cares?
It was the greatest show. They did other people's music and showcased two or three of each of their own. The oddest moment of the evening was when they did the Beach Boys' Help Me Rhonda but their energy and passion was evident throughout the show and I was completely enthralled. If they were playing again today I'd go right back there to see if I could get a ticket.
Does Dukes of September mean they won't be playing together beyond this month? Too bad cuz if they were close I'd go see them again. And again.

No comments: