I love fresh corn and 'tis the season (one good thing about this hateful, hot-full summer). Have you ever had Mirai sweet corn? Mmmmmm...so delicious you can eat it raw. Seriously. It's a hybrid that was developed in Harvard, Illinois and you can get it at some of the farmer's markets around the city.
Well, I got some sweet corn at the farmer's market near my house on Saturday and tho it's not Mirai, it's still yummy. I used it to make Roasted Corn Salad, which is a delicious seasonal dish. Actually it's a good dish for any time.
Here's the recipe:
Roasted Corn Salad
• 4 ears of corn, cut off the cob
• 4 teaspoons unsalted butter, melted
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 red onion, sliced
• 2 tablespoons diced roasted red bell pepper (store-bought is fine)
• 1 tablespoon slivered green olives
• 2 scallions, white and tender green parts, thinly sliced
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
• 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
Heat a large cast iron skillet on high heat till smoking hot. Add corn to dry skillet and roast and char kernels till they begin to pop.
Add in butter and red onion and mix. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring.
Add remaining ingredients.
Season and serve warm or cold.