April 18, 2010

The World According to Samantha

Here's a question for you: If someone invites you to their home for a meal and you ask, "What can I bring?" should they assume you really mean that? Should they take you up on it and ask you to cook something? Here's my opinion: It's a rhetorical question.
If I invite you to my house I expect to cook the meal. All of it.
If you ask me what you can bring I'll say, "Nothing, thank you. Just bring your appetite."
Asking what you can bring is sort of like saying, "How are you?" No one really wants an answer to that, you're just supposed to say, "I'm good, how are you?"
Likewise, when you ask what you can bring you're just being polite and you (read: me) don't expect the person to say, "Oh, you can make a salad," or "How about baking some cookies?" The correct answer is, "Nothing." And since it's good manners to bring a hostess gift the guest can then decide to bring some flowers or a bottle of wine or something like that.
So that's the world according to Samantha. What's your opinion?

No comments: