February 11, 2009

Good News Re: Sprained MCL

It will heal. That's the good news. The bad news is it's going to take a very long time but eventually it will heal.
I'm back running again and soooooooo happy about that, even when it's zero degrees or, like today, when it's raining.
I stopped running for six months, walking instead (my MCL didn't hurt much when I walked but it hurt like hell when I ran) or riding my bike, but there's nothing like running for me.
My leg gradually started feeling better during the six months I was off and when I got back from South Africa in early December I started running/walking. It wasn't pain-free but it was better. And running didn't make it worse, so I kept at it. After a month or so I was running the whole way.
I still notice my MCL when I run but it's getting better all the time. BTW, I ignored my doctor's advice to ice it and to take Alleve. Tried both, didn't work, so I just rested it. Contrary to every trainer/medical person/sports medicine doc, icing has never done anything for me. I'm sure it helps a lot of people, so don't go by me, but it seems like something people tell you to do when they don't know what else to tell you.
Oh, it's also a good thing I can run again cuz someone stole my bike right out of my garage space, chain, lock and all. Bummer.

No comments: