January 19, 2009

The Inauguration

I don't know about you but I get very emotional when I think about Barack Obama's inauguration tomorrow. It gives me hope on so many levels; that our country has finally figured out that the color of someone's skin doesn't tell us what kind of person he or she is, that Barack Obama is a man who can truly unite our country and bring about the change (sorry, I know it's over-used) our country so desperately needs, and that history is being made.
I'm not naïve enough to believe that racism has been eradicated from our society - I wish that it were so - but we've come a long way. We've come far enough to elect a black man as our president and that in itself is amazing. But I fear for Obama's safety. Regrettably, there are still crazies out there. But if we let him I truly believe he will be one of our finest presidents.
Tomorrow is a historic day. I feel optimistic about the future of our country and about our future as individuals, even as I stare in disbelief at the losses in my investment accounts. I feel optimistic that Barack Obama is going to lead our country back to its greatness. I've never felt this kind of trust and confidence in a president before. I'm happy to live in these exciting times.

No comments: