December 12, 2008

Out of Africa

Well, I'm home after two veeeeeery long plane rides; Jo'burg (that's what they call it there) to Paris, Paris to Chicago. All told we were traveling for about 26 hours. Whew, that was painful.
Unfortunately I'm not very good at sleeping on planes (or anywhere else for that matter) and I'm sure I didn't get more than four hours' sleep, if that. But here I am, still awake at 11:00 p.m. (7:00 a.m. South Africa time) so maybe I'll re-acclimate quickly. But whatever, it's worth the excruciatingly long travel time to be able to see this incredible country. It was a fabulous, amazing trip which I'll write more about very soon, and post pictures. Meanwhile here's a little preview.



On the porch, right outside our thatch-roofed chalet at Simbambili Game Lodge on our last morning. His friends and family joined him, scampering around the furniture, staring in at us.



Water Buffalo chilling out in the jacuzzi:

1 comment:

Scarletgrey said...

Sam,

First of all, welcome home! I can't wait to read more about your trip and see more pictures. Yep 26 hours flying is a loooooong couple of flights, I could never sleep on planes before either. When we went to Australia, I did sleep some, not sure how much sleep I got, maybe the same 4 hours. It must have been so exciting to see those magnificent and scary creatures so close.

Bun